The Resident Engineer (RE) will provide expert support, analysis and research into complex problems and processes relating to deployed Palo Alto Networks equipment. The RE will function as the Palo Alto Networks Product’s Subject Matter Expert (SME) and will interact directly with the customer’s personnel. The RE will serve as the technical expert on executive-level project teams within the customer providing technical direction, interpretation, and alternatives. The RE contributes to the development of new principles and concepts, works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious. This is a highly technical, hands-on role and the RE will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products and solutions deployed within the Customer’s network.
- Work full-time at the customer site.
- Analyze logs and events from the solution and provide threat analysis reports.
- Build custom security policies and application signatures.
- Interact with the Palo Alto Networks TAC to troubleshoot and diagnose cases.
- Mitigate web-based threats in a timely manner.
- Maintain the Palo Alto Networks solution and provide guidance on code upgrades, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Minimum 5 years experience with IDS/IPS solutions and technologies.
- Minimum 5 years experience managing security solutions in large environments.
- Extensive knowledge of different security threats.
- Strong understanding of core Internet protocols and applications.
- Detailed technical experience in the installation, configuration and operation of high-end firewall appliances, ideally Palo Alto Networks products.
- Ability to effectively manage many different tasks simultaneously.
- Extensive background in internetworking, LAN, and WAN technologies required.
- Migration off Checkpoint firewalls with a mix of “best of breed” choices in older security technologies.
- Migrating multiple currently separate functions to Palo Alto – firewall, IPS, URL filtering, remote access VPN, endpoint AV.
- In the short term, will migrate existing port-based firewall functionality, but intendes to adopt AppID over time with RE leading effort.
- Will adopt Traps for workstations and servers across enterprise.
- Checkpoint firewall experience required.
- WebSense URL filtering experience preferred.
- MS Windows workstation and server management practices foundations preferred for Traps.
Strong architectural leadership and communication capability. Customer is undertaking a significant technology change and consoliation, and the plans for its final state are not yet well defined. RE will be an important part of defining future state over the long term.
Good understanding of threat landscape and triage. Palo Alto adoption will significantly increase visibility into threat activity, and the RE will be important in helping them understand how to get the best data out of Palo Alto to inform response/remediation decisions. RE will not lead response activities, but will work with response team. Broad rather than deep Palo Alto skill set. Customer is adopting technologies across the Palo Alto portfolio, with no previous Palo Alto experience. A broad foundation and ability to find answers is more important than deep technical expertise in one narrow field. Comfortable working on parallel projects.