The Resident Engineer (RE) will provide expert support, analysis and research into complex problems and processes relating to deployed Palo Alto Networks equipment. The RE will function as the Palo Alto Networks products Subject Matter Expert (SME) and will interact directly with the customer’s personnel. The RE will serve as the technical expert on executive-level project teams within the customer providing technical direction, interpretation, and alternatives. The RE contributes to the development of new principles and concepts, works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious. This is a highly technical, hands-on role and the RE will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products and solutions deployed within the Customer’s network.
Existing Palo Alto Networks firewall customer, recently signed ELA/ESA. Current deployment consists of 5200s (14), 3000s (8), 800s (19), 500s (2), and 220s (9), plus Panorama. Has adopted many of the threat aspects of the platform, but with the new ELA, they’re looking to implement all of the features. Many deployments have been perimeter and datacenter north/south. They have an initiative to further segment their datacenters using NSX and VM-Series firewalls (estimated 20 hosts year1, growing from there).
Work full-time at the customer site. Consult and guide customer on security best practices and act as Trusted Advisor for client on behalf of Palo Alto Networks. Analyze logs and events from the solution and provide threat analysis reports, providing input and direction as applicable. Build custom security policies and application signatures. Interact with the Palo Alto Networks TAC to troubleshoot and diagnose cases. Mitigate web-based threats in a timely manner. Maintain the Palo Alto Networks solution and provide guidance on code upgrades, etc. Work with sales account team to help formulate technical strategy to address customer business needs. Support direct manager in managing business needs through weekly reports and Quarterly Business Reviews.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proven ability to communicate to sr. leaders and technical peers.
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing security solutions in large environments
- Extensive knowledge of different security threats
- Strong understanding of core Internet protocols and applications
- Detailed technical experience in the installation, configuration and operation of high-end firewall appliances, ideally Palo Alto Networks products
- Strong TCP/IP networking skills
- Ability to effectively manage many different tasks simultaneously
- Extensive background in internetworking, LAN, and WAN technologies required
- Proven project leadership experience; ability to drive organizations and resources to complete required tasks in service of end goals
Expert level relationship management, communications skills and interpersonal skills to manage face to face communications on a daily basis with multiple levels of customer management and engineering staff across multiple departments within the host company in a responsible and professional fashion.
Expert level troubleshooting methodology to isolate and identify configuration, design, and software anomalies; ability to clearly articulate findings in written and verbal communications with development level engineering staff. Migrate legacy Cisco & Fortinet hardware to Palo Alto Networks platforms, specifically PA-5200 series in an HA configuration. Apply Next Generation technology to better control external traffic using UserID, AppID, Global Protect, Security Profiles while leveraging existing infrastructure. VMware + NSX integration experience w/ VM-Series NGFW. Datacenter segmentation experience
Competitive Experience in the following:
- Cisco routing & switching (for compatibility with Palo Alto Networks)
- Cisco & Fortinet firewalls/VPN (previously used, being migrated to Palo Alto Networks)
- zScaler URL Filtering (still using, able to encourage PAN-DB adoption)